According to Google: Advent is the arrival of a notable person, thing, or event.
Some folks are celebrating the arrival of Jesus or Santa. Others may be getting the birthday party started for of one of my favorites: Isaac Newton. Yes, if the Julian — as in Caesar — calendar were still in use, Newton was born on December 25. One day I’ll commemorate by hanging apples and tiny telescopes all over the place.
Years ago Mrs. Gyde Sr. (My Mother-In-Law) gave us a gorgeous Advent calendar. It has tiny little doors behind which I can hide small gifts for the kids to open. They love counting down the days until Christmas, and I love planning what items I will hide behind those doors. I have many fun things planned for 2018! While I can’t tell you what 2018 Advent will be (the kids read this blog…hi kids!), I can share some things we’ve done in the past. I try to mix it up with candy or treats, makeables, and experiences. Here are some ideas:
- Movie Night In (Christmas Vacation, Elf, The Grinch, Home Alone)
- Grinch Floats (lime sorbet and lemon lime soda)
- Make Ornaments (requires advance prep or buy a kit)
- Gingerbread Houses (we use Graham Crackers)
- Dairy Queen Coins
- Buttons, Pins, Stickers
- Movie Night Out
- Christmas Socks, Pajamas, Accessories
- Books (I used to order from the flyer that came home in Elementary School…I miss those)
- Make Your Own Snowman Pizzas
- Go Shopping for the Angel Tree
- Holiday Event Tickets (Theater, Music, Etc.)
- Homemade “coupons” for things like Frozen Yogurt, a New Book or Toy, Amazon Movie, Etc.
- Gift Cards for Coffee
- Hot Cocoa Kits
- Decorating Sugar Cookies (which I buy from the store, why? Because by the time I mix the dough, roll out and cut cookies, then bake and cool them…I’m over it)
- Small Ski or Snow Supplies (hand and feet warmers, face salve, lip balm, gloves, socks, sunscreen)
- Camping Supplies (flashlight, waterproof matches, compass, water filter, emergency blanket, first aid kit)
- Beauty Supplies (face masks, nail polish, lip gloss, bath bombs, lotion, shower gel)
- Candy (chocolate marshmallow santas are always a hit)
Items that don’t fit inside the tiny doors are wrapped and labeled with name and number.
How do you commemorate Advent?